Karl Lagerfeld took his Resort 2017 Chanel show to Cuba today, bringing with him his celebrity friends, collaborators, and a slew of fashion press. In Cuba, guests were treated to a long weekend of activities that culminated in the house’s Cuba-inspired Resort show. Aside from the scenery, highs will no doubt include both a Gisele Bündchen and Tilda Swinton sighting, and Fidel Castro’s grandson walking the runway.
Some of the interesting things that happened in the show are:
- Guest were ushered into the show in colourful convertibles.
- The show was held en plein air in Havana’s Paseo de Prado, the dividing line between Old and New Havana.
- The accessories of choice in Cuba? Pearl-studded berets, floral-trim fedoras, and spectator shoes.
- The vintage cars of Cuba appeared as a print on several pieces, including a flowing dance dress.
- Taking a page from the streets—of New York, perhaps—were denim jackets with clusters of Chanel-themed pins on them.
- In lieu of a traditional finale, the Chanel show ended with a lively conga line of dancing models and musicians.
- Lagerfeld took his bow in a sequin Saint Laurent jacket from Hedi Slimane’s Spring 2016 men’s collection.
Cuba is slowly becoming a tourist must visit and after Chanel launches its Cuban inspired collection in Havana, Cuba has got its approval from the Houdini of Haute Couture.